USDA Home Loan
Zero down for something out of town.
Thinking rural? The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) offers a loan program that is attractive for first-time homebuyers of residences in designated rural areas. Options include loans with little or no down payment, lower interest rates, and closing costs that can be financed into the loan. Income limits (determined by location) are also a consideration, and the home must be owner-occupied.
Don’t be confused by the term “rural.” Rural areas and home types vary. Many homes that qualify for this program are in traditional developments. Be sure to ask for details about designated rural areas.
- No down payment is required (though limitations apply).
- Interest rates are lower.
- Closing costs can be rolled into the loan.
- There are no lot size restrictions.
- USDA loans are limited to homes within designated rural areas.
- Mortgage insurance is required.
- Income restrictions apply.
- The home must be owner-occupied.