For some potential homeowners, including first-time homebuyers, flexibility in mortgage options is essential to accessing homeownership. A possible option that offers that flexibility is a loan through the Federal Housing Administration (FHA).
An FHA loan offers an affordable option with some lenience on qualification terms. FHA loans are ensured by the Federal Housing Administration to support homeownership and help more people get into homes.
Features of an FHA loan can include:
• A low down payment
• Flexible income and credit guidelines
• The ability to use down payment gifts from family members, employers or persons with whom the borrower has a long standing, close (family type) relationship
• Sellers may contribute up to six (6) percent on your closing costs
• Availability of different loan terms including fixed and adjustable-rate loans
• 100% financing (ask for details)
Many people think that FHA loans are exclusively for first-time buyers, but that’s not the case. There are many FHA options for repeat buyers. FHA loans are often marketed at first-time buyers because of the low down payment requirements and more flexible credit requirements.
So if you’re a first-time buyer, or a repeat buyer, thinking that homeownership is out of your reach because you have a low down payment available, think again. Find a trusted mortgage professional to see what options you might have to fit your financial situation.